Wednesday, September 24, 2014

In Dim Lit Rooms

Romantic Nights from Flickr via Wylio
© 2012 Kelly Hunter, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio














In dim lit rooms, the people dance.
My heart does too, in solemn lands
Where lullabies stir beneath the gray;
I watch them dance, I watch them fade.

A sleep so warm; these walls so cold
A moment fractured in still repose,
Like a picture in an ill-bent frame.
But you held me right. You made me stay.

But I must awake. I must go on;
Life calls me into a different song
Of crowded streets with homesick strangers -- 
Of dreams held back by paper anchors.

Leaves collect under bus stop benches
Much as they do on the graves of princes.
I suppose we're separated by the dreams we dream;
I suppose we dream only when we're free.

I miss your voice; you weren't always perfect.
But when you sang the dreams, you made them feel worth it.
O let me not walk to the cadence of men --
Just let me dream once to find you again.

In dim lit rooms, I found my dance.
My heart did too.

Copyright 2014 by Ashley Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr