Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Autumn's End

'Autumn 2009' photo (c) 2009, dktrpepr - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/
















It fell slowly.
     A breath of wind broke its last fragment of strength
And the little red leaf touched the brittle grass
     For the first time.

Quietly, it came.
     Like blinds turning slowly for the eyes to see.
The trees that change their colors are dying
     And yet, so very beautiful.

Day hastens to night.
     Pink clouds are like chalk against a slate-blue sky,
Until the rain gently washes the chalk away
     And lulls the world to sleep.

 Frost shavings
     Mount like peaks on a vein of scarlet cranberries
 While the faint scent of perfume on my coral sweater
     Reminds me of last fall.

  I remember how
     We tossed a football in the yard, and I was content
  Just spending time with you as orange leaves cascaded
      Between us.

  Now, outside my window,
       Flecks of gold litter the apple orchard floor
  Like fragrant petals that follow a wedding.
       I won’t rake them today.

Copyright 2011 by Ashley Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr