Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ballad of A King

'Harp' photo (c) 2011, Steve-h - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/This ballad is based on 1 Samuel 23-24 when David was pursued by King Saul. I'm amazed at David's strong respect for Saul as God's anointed even though Saul was after his very life. David's story is a reminder that God is faithful to those He has called according to His purpose, if only we'll submit to His timing and be willing to endure our present difficulties for the prize He is offering.

Ballad of a King

The driving rain looks like broken strings
     On a harp that will never be heard.
Hands once trained for music now turn
     To the rising prelude of war.

Alone, I roam through the hills of Hachilah;
     My armor is light but worthy.
An entire kingdom against one man;
     One soul devoid of mercy.

I never asked to wear your crown;
     But the monster had to be killed.
Your own heart melted while I stood strong;
     Now a throne is being rebuilt.

Like poison, your eyes cut into mine—
     Jealousy mingled with blood.
I fled to this world carved in rocks and clay
     Still, my exile wasn’t enough.

I’m drenched in this rain, but it feels like oil,
     Beading so thick down my neck.
I was born for this and I’ll die for this;
     Arms calloused thick with sweat.

I feel like an animal in your sight,
     Roaming these hills for safety.
The earth is wet and I see your footprints;
     You’ve entered my kingdom bravely.

My eyes have adjusted to the dark, and I see
     You sleeping there in my cave.
I draw my sword, but I’m not like you.
     Death will find you another way.

With my sword, I cut a piece of your robe,
     And left you in your ignorance.
The thoughts still echo that my time will come
     But my heart doesn’t calculate its imminence.

I wasn’t prepared for the ambush of troops,
     Or the murderous look from your eyes,
Until I tossed you the piece of your robe,
     Saying, “I spared your life tonight.”

Copyright 2011 by Ashley Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr